The Final Meeting In Mediation: Moving On
The Beginning of the End: After mediating with divorcing couples, sometimes over a period of months, the end finally comes. We review with them, in a courtesy session, the Separation Agreement that contains all the terms they agreed to in mediation.
There it is – in black and white- their agreement that lays out the end of their marriage.
Many people become very emotional at this final review. It is one thing to decide to divorce, but it really hits home to actually see the agreement. Many times this final session ends in tears.
However, as mediators, we realize that although this may be a very sad meeting – in reality there are also a lot of positives to recognize. Since the people sitting before us mediated, rather than litigated, we take comfort in knowing that:
1. The couple decided the terms of their divorce themselves – and each of them felt that they were getting a fair agreement.
2. It is much more healing to express sadness regarding the loss of a marriage than to hold on to the anger at your soon-to-be ex. Mediation helps couples let go of their anger and move on with their lives.
3. Since more anger has been defused in Moncler outlet mediation, our couples are better able to co-parent their children.
4. This is especially true because the parents decided upon a parenting plan themselves – rather than having a judge impose one.
5. No party leaves feeling like a “loser” and afraid for their future. We help the parties come up with a practical plan in which each person will have enough money to live on.
6. And of course the process saved thousand of dollars compared to litigation, it was much faster and no one had to miss days from work to attend Court.